Barney Martin is as charismatic as he is knowledgeable. If you take a short tour of his website you will see he is one talented and funny guy!
Barney’s career has taken him from London to Australia and some of his proudest achievements have included working with famous British hairdresser Sam McKnight on British Vogue, French Vogue, London Fashion Week and Milan Fashion Week. Not forgetting his amazing clients some of whom used to come to his flat in Bondi before he had a salon.
I was lucky enough to rack the Sydney salon owner’s brain and get him to spill the beans on everything hair.
1. Which hair tool can’t you work without?
My GHD Air is the one hair tool I can’t work without. It’s the best hairdryer I’ve ever used and is the first thing I pack in my kit before heading out to a shoot.
2. What are your top tips to treat split ends?
My top tips for treating split ends are:
- Regular trims – For long hair, make sure you have your ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks and for short hair aim for every 4-6 depending on how structured your cut is.
- Treatments – Apply a treatment mask at least once a week
- Heat Protector – Also apply a heat protector spray, oil or serum before heat styling
3. What is your favourite can’t live without product?
My favourite can’t live without product would have to be dry shampoo! It’s not only great for getting rid of oily roots without having to wash your hair but it also gives great texture and volume.
4. Most common hair mistake women can make?
Over applying products, leaving their hair oily or stiff!
5. Do you have any at-home hair tips?
Equip yourself with the right tools and products for your hair. In your kit you should have:
1. Good quality hairdryer – I obviously recommend the GHD Air
2. 3 brushes – Wide toothcomb or tangle teaser, soft bristle brush and a flat paddle brush – I like Mason Pearson
3. Treatments – Try the 3 Minute Miracle treatments, they are quick and easy to use
4. Hair pins – Make sure they are the same colour as your hair
5. Products to suit your hair type – Ask your stylist to recommend which products are right for your hair
6. Box dye Vs a salon visit?
Definitely salon visit. Not only can your colourist advise you on what colour or shades of colour suit your eye colour and skin tone but they will also ensure precision application and no patchy disasters!
7. What experience do you create for clients in your salon?
We provide our clients with premium service in a relaxed and welcoming environment. We pride ourselves on the fact that our clients feel part of the Barney Martin family.
8. Any final words of hair wisdom?
Use dry shampoo and to avoid fluffy looking hair, only wash your hair every second day.
Barney Martin is located at 399 Riley Street, Surry Hills NSW 2010
To book your appointment please contact:
(+61) 2 9212 0204 or email email@example.com